2 free of or using methods to keep free of pathological microorganisms; "a sterile operating area"; "aseptic surgical instruments"; "aseptic surgical techniques" [syn: aseptic]
3 deficient in originality or creativity; lacking powers of invention; "a sterile ideology lacking in originality"; "unimaginative development of a musical theme"; "uninspired writing" [syn: unimaginative, uninspired, uninventive]
- Rhymes: -ɛrəl
- unable to reproduce (or procreate).
unable to reproduce
The term Sterility has several meanings:
- The quality or state of being unable to reproduce; of being infertile. The term may be used of higher animals.
- An aseptic condition, meaning an absence of living things, as in microbiology or the environment. See also aseptic technique and sterilization (microbiology).
- Sterility in medicine and surgery indicates a micro-environment (the surgical field) made free of infectious microorganisms.
- In literature and art, the term suggests work that does not arouse the intellect or the emotions.
- Sterile Records, a record label.
sterile in Spanish: Estéril
sterile in Indonesian: Steril
sterile in French: Stérilité (homonymie)
sterile in Portuguese: Estéril
sterile in Danish: steril
sterile in Swedish: sterilitet
abortive, acarpous, antiseptic, arid, aseptic, bare, barren, blah, blank, bloodless, boiled, bootless, celibate, characterless, childless, cold, colorless, counterproductive, dead, decontaminated, desert, desolate, disinfected, dismal, draggy, drained, drearisome, dreary, dried-up, dry, dryasdust, dull, dusty, effete, elephantine, empty, etiolated, exhausted, fade, fallow, fatuitous, fatuous, feckless, flat, fruitless, futile, gainless, gaunt, gelded, heavy, ho-hum, hollow, hygienic, impotent, inadequate, inane, ineffective, ineffectual, inefficacious, inexcitable, infecund, infertile, inoperative, insipid, invalid, issueless, jejune, leached, leaden, lifeless, low-spirited, menopausal, noncreative, nonfertile, nonproducing, nonproductive, nonprolific, nonremunerative, nugacious, nugatory, of no force, otiose, pale, pallid, pasteurized, pedestrian, plodding, pointless, poky, ponderous, profitless, prophylactic, pure, rewardless, sanitary, sine prole, slow, solemn, spiritless, stale, sterilized, stiff, stodgy, stuffy, sucked dry, superficial, tasteless, tedious, teemless, unavailing, uncontaminated, uncreative, uncultivated, unfertile, unfruitful, uninfected, uninspired, uninventive, unlively, unplowed, unpolluted, unproductive, unprofitable, unprolific, unremunerative, unrewarding, unsown, untilled, useless, vain, vapid, virgin, waste, wasted, without issue, wooden, worn-out